[Prism54-users] Re: prism54: pci_request_regions failure

Jörg Esser jackfritt@boh.de
Wed, 05 May 2004 09:59:17 +0200

Alec H. Peterson schrieb:
> --On Tuesday, May 4, 2004 1:20 PM -0600 "Alec H. Peterson"
> <ahp@hilander.com> wrote:
>
>> I saw somebody posted about this problem, I too am having exactly the
>> same problem the other user described.  My configration is a Shuttle XPC
>> with a PCMCIA bridge, running the 2.4.25 kernel.
>

> I have a data point that may prove useful.
>
> I was testing this on a system that happened to have a 2 slot PCMCIA
> bridge.  Using slot 0 the driver did not work (with the
> pci_request_regions() error or the Fix your BIOS/CardBus controller
> error, depending on whether or not it was the first time through).
> Anyway, using slot 1 it worked just fine.
>
> Most of the machines I will need to deploy this to have a single slot
> controller, and trying it in the single slot yields the same set of
> problems.

I have an epia board which only has one slot. I know from
other people, who have 2 slots, that they solved it like you did.

> Any thoughts?

I think this is an BIOS problem. But I can´t get any officials at epia.
And the BIOS I can download is the one my board uses.
I found some person in newsgroup linux.kernel who had the same problems
with other cards. And someone said this can maybe solved by a kernel patch
that has to be written ;)

I´m watching the thread  but there is no answer about this on
linux.kernel yet.
Maybe you can post there. Search the subject : PCI problem with RICOH
RL5C475 PCI/PCMCIA adapter, on 2.4.26
I think the subject they choosed I a little bit misleading. Maybe its
better to open a new one with
"PCI: Unable to reserve mem region " as subject.
Someone who is responsible for the PCI/BIOS Code can use this is error
message and post some info/solution for it.
Posting the full error messages and the lspci -vv output from the
specific card, the used motherboard with BIOS Version
and the kernel version can also help the developer.

Thx,

Joerg Esser