[Prism54-users] still can't load firmware

Franco net.surfer at tiscali.it
Sun Jul 4 20:50:25 UTC 2004

> Franco, do you have firmware.agent file for hotplug?

Yes

> What's the out of output1.txt and output2.txt in:
> rmmod prism54
> dmesg -c > /dev/null
> modprobe prism54
> dmesg -c | tee output1.txt
> ifconfig eth0 up
> dmesg -c | tee output2.txt

I put those commands in a script and run it.
Interestingly enough, it gives this output:

----- output1.txt ------------------
Loaded prism54 driver, version 1.1
divert: allocating divert_blk for eth0
eth0: prism54 driver detected card model: SMC2802W
--------------------------------------

------ output2.txt -----------------
eth0: islpci_open()
eth0: resetting device...
eth0: uploading firmware...
eth0: firmware uploaded done, now triggering reset...
--------------------------------------

If then I do an ifconfig or iwconfig,
it show a "sane" situation.
I can even play with the various iwconfig parameters
(ssid, encription key, etc) and it seems to accept it.

However, if I try a "service network start"
it hangs, says again that it can't load firmware,
and if I try to run your script after that,
it fails too giving the same error (output2.txt changes
and says, too, it can't load the firmware)

If then I reboot the machine, your script works again...

Franco