[Prism54-users] still can't load firmware

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at ruslug.rutgers.edu
Sun Jul 4 20:53:56 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jul 04, 2004 at 10:50:25PM +0200, Franco wrote:
> > Franco, do you have firmware.agent file for hotplug?
>
> Yes
>
> > What's the out of output1.txt and output2.txt in:
> > rmmod prism54
> > dmesg -c > /dev/null
> > modprobe prism54
> > dmesg -c | tee output1.txt
> > ifconfig eth0 up
> > dmesg -c | tee output2.txt
>
> I put those commands in a script and run it.
> Interestingly enough, it gives this output:
>
> ----- output1.txt ------------------
> Loaded prism54 driver, version 1.1
> divert: allocating divert_blk for eth0
> eth0: prism54 driver detected card model: SMC2802W
> --------------------------------------
>
> ------ output2.txt -----------------
> eth0: islpci_open()
> eth0: resetting device...
> eth0: uploading firmware...
> eth0: firmware uploaded done, now triggering reset...
> --------------------------------------
>
> If then I do an ifconfig or iwconfig,
> it show a "sane" situation.
> I can even play with the various iwconfig parameters
> (ssid, encription key, etc) and it seems to accept it.
>
> However, if I try a "service network start"
> it hangs, says again that it can't load firmware,
> and if I try to run your script after that,
> it fails too giving the same error (output2.txt changes
> and says, too, it can't load the firmware)
>
> If then I reboot the machine, your script works again...
>
> Franco

Look into "service network start" script. There may be a bug there.
You should be fine, just don't use that script. Just manually up the
device (ifconfig eth0 up). Then set the essid and just give it an IP or
use a dhcp client to get one (dhclient eth0; or pump -i eth0).

	Luis

--
GnuPG Key fingerprint = 113F B290 C6D2 0251 4D84  A34A 6ADD 4937 E20A 525E