[Prism54-users] Output power regulation - SMC2802W

Martin Vítězník martin@ujdeto.cz
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 21:58:40 +0100

Luis,
thanx for tons of information.

>Not sure though. Can someone advise?

I am interested in HAM and electronic, so I know what means dBm etc...
I try to explain it to you:

dB (deciBell) is relative unit for gain and loss -
for voltage: a = 20 * log(U2/U1) where a[db] is gain, U2=output voltage, U1=input voltage
There is the same formula for curent.

FOR POWER: a = 10 * log(P2/P1)
output +3dB is 2x input, -3dB is 0,5x input etc.

P1 is a reference, in our case it is 1 mW, so it means that if output-power is 100mW, the output-power in dB(dBm) is 10*log(100)=20dbM.

With deciBells you can easily add or substract powers and gains. For example: I have yagi-15dB, and in my country I cannot have total gain bigger than 20dBm (simplified) so I have to regulate output power of my card to (20-15)=5dBm.

>This is the OID to use.
>
>> > Output power in units of 0.25 dBm.
>
>Perhaps this means for each unit you put on that address you get 0.25 dBm.

With iwpriv? - something like iwpriv eth1 OID_INL_OUTPUTPOWER FF02000F xxx (xxx=outputpower in dBm*4)? I don t know what does it mean.

Thanx, Martin

From: "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@ruslug.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 15:18:24 -0500 (EST)