[Prism54-users] Windows firmware embedded in driver files

Simon.Green@vodafone.co.nz Simon.Green@vodafone.co.nz
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 08:34:11 +1300

Marc,

Yes, my card works great in Linux so far. I have not tried to associate
to .11b access points yet (the only one we have around here is closed)
but it works nicely with my .11g AP.

There are problems in Windows: if you attempt to associate to a .11b AP,
it blue screens (never mind that the AP was closed anyway!). There are
v2.1 drivers on the 3Com site, but I have not been able to make them
work at all. Other discussions seem to indicate there might be a v2 of
the chipset which the firmware embedded in those drivers runs on. The
v1.0 driver shipped with the card works with .11g Aps. I have updated
the 3Com card manager to v3.0 but this doesn't make any difference. I
wouldn't have expected any, but I thought I'd give it a go.

Anyway, the problem with the firmware files is that they are down from
prism54.org now due to the fact we have no permission to distribute
them. If you have a v1.0 card like mine you could download the 1.0
drivers from 3Com, which have a working firmware file. It's not the most
current one that was on prism54.org but it does work.

I'm currently using the latest driver (as of about last week some time)
patched into a 2.4.24 stock kernel on Red Hat Enterprise Server 3.0. I
have also used it successfully under 2.6.2, but that spectacularly broke
the touch pad on my laptop (nice work!) so I'm sticking with 2.4.24 for
now.

Now all I need is for Checkpoint to hurry up with SecureClient for
RH9/ES3 and I can pretty much put away my WinXP box. :)

Cheers
Simon

+++
OK
ATH
NO CARRIER
_

----------------------
Have you seen our website?.... http://www.vodafone.co.nz

CAUTION: This correspondence is confidential and intended for the named r=
ecipient(s) only.
If you are not the named recipient and receive this correspondence in err=
or, you must not copy,
distribute or take any action in reliance on it and you should delete it =
from your system and
notify the sender immediately.  Thank you.

Unless otherwise stated, any views or opinions expressed are solely those=
=20of the author and do
not represent those of Vodafone New Zealand Limited.

Vodafone New Zealand Limited
21 Pitt Street, Private Bag 92161, Auckland, 1020, New Zealand
Telephone + 64 9 357 5100
Facsimile + 64 9 377 0962