[Prism54-users] slightly OT: SMC2835W - How to automate network setup?

Nicolai Langfeldt janl@linpro.no
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 23:46:22 +0100

Stefan U. Hegner (Mobil) wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> my prism54 driver seems to work ... But I need to do a couple of things
> manually after inserting the cardbus card to my notebook. How can I
> automate this?

> In order to esatablish an IP connection I need to do the following:
> - iwconfig eth1 mode Managed
> - iwconfig eth1 essid "myessid"
> - dhclient eth1
> - route add default gw my.default.gate.way
>
> I thought, to automate this, you use the wireless.opts file. In mine it
> says:

What to do is distribution specific.  Atempt any network config tool
that it may have first.

But then I suggest you read your distributions ifup - or whatever script
it uses to take up interfaces.  On Redhat they have several different
hooks for pre-up and wireless initialization, and in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-post they hook to /sbin/ifup-local
as a post-up script.

Nicolai