[Prism54-users] slightly OT: SMC2835W - How to automate network setup?

Stefan U. Hegner (Mobil) mobil@hegner-online.de
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:38:58 +0100

--=-/Q2sjO9wVtXt1H1WzPZO

Hi Nicolai,

Am Don, 2003-11-27 um 23.46 schrieb Nicolai Langfeldt:
> > my prism54 driver seems to work ... But I need to do a couple of things
> > manually after inserting the cardbus card to my notebook. How can I
> > automate this?
>=20
> > In order to esatablish an IP connection I need to do the following:
> > - iwconfig eth1 mode Managed
> > - iwconfig eth1 essid "myessid"
> > - dhclient eth1
> > - route add default gw my.default.gate.way
> >=20
> > I thought, to automate this, you use the wireless.opts file. In mine it
> > says:
>=20
> What to do is distribution specific.  Atempt any network config tool=20
> that it may have first.

Hmmmm. I was reading some docu over the weekend and I rather get the
idea, that it might have to do with the cardservices. - i.e. there is no
entry for SMC2835/prism54 in the /etc/pcmcia/config. - Could this be the
problem? Has someone a "sample-entry" for this?

> But then I suggest you read your distributions ifup - or whatever script=20
> it uses to take up interfaces.  On Redhat they have several different=20
> hooks for pre-up and wireless initialization, and in=20
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-post they hook to /sbin/ifup-local=20
> as a post-up script.

Seems to be similar in MDK (IMHO they have borrowed some of this stuff
from RH). However, the ifup and ifup-wireless scripts don't make much
sense to me. - I'm rather a dumb user than a bright guru. -So, what are
you trying to tell me? - Modifying the scripts? What? How?

To me the problem seems rather to be, that MDK9.1 doesn't know about
Prism54. - And it might be easier just to "fill in" that information. At
least that is my hope in regards to the cardservices config (see above).

Thanks anyway.

Stefan.

--=20
/ Stefan Ulrich Hegner aka "Hegi" - Loehne/ Westfalen - Germany \
| mobil@hegner-online.de - primary Email stefan@hegner-online.de|
\ GPG-Fprint D9DB 51BD 2DA6 9B3A 41CB  0287 05A1 8D11 38BA CE91 /

--=-/Q2sjO9wVtXt1H1WzPZO

--=-/Q2sjO9wVtXt1H1WzPZO--