[Prism54-users] getoid bsslist

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof@ruslug.rutgers.edu
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 23:35:09 -0500 (EST)

Please do not cross-post to dri-devel a users question.

> hey. i was using my prismGT (netgear wg511) and used to do the "getoid
> <if> 1c000043 bsslist" to get a list of APs around me.

Use now:
	iwlist eth0 scanning

> i wanted to know if the list returned is a list of APs found in
> Infrastructure mode, or if it also includes ones which are transmitting
> in Ad-Hoc mode. i ask cos i dont have that card with me anymore, and i
> cant check to verify.

Good question. Hmmm. My *guess* would be Infrastructure but that is based
on my assumption that cards in Ad-Hoc mode don't broadcast essids.

> i now use an orinoco card. and i dont see a similar functionality in
> it. i simply cant get 'iwspy' working on this (and from what i see of it,
> it isnt as useful). kismet and other tools put the card in 'monitor'
> mode and this isnt good, as it pulls down the connection, just to sniff
> around. so, i want {to write} something similar to what i saw on the GT.

Monitor mode is also now available for the prism54. Testing pending, maybe
you can help ;)

Re-writing user-space applications for specific cards is a *big no no*.
That is why we have Linux Wireless tools. If the driver has more
functionality than currently available with the Linux Wireless tools there
are always private ioctls that can be defined for each driver. You can
list these by doing:

	iwpriv eth0

The output is kind of cryptic but what I'll explain what one means, just
so you get the hang of it:

	Feature name	Hex ioctl ID	: set	#args	& get	#args
	setPowerMode     (8BE3)		: set   1 int   & get   0

I'll explain further : set   1 int   & get   0 here:

Operation set available?	#args	arg type
set   				1	int

Operation get available?	#args
get				0