[Prism54-users] No rule to make drivers/net/wireless/prism54/prism54.c

Basile STARYNKEVITCH basile@starynkevitch.net
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 21:37:31 +0100

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 08:48:47PM +0100, Chris de Vries wrote:
> My attempts to install the driver for Linux 2.4.23-pre9 were
> unsuccessful; I kept getting error messages like:
> islpci_mgt_response(): queue empty, retrying (jiffies left = 80)
> and ERROR: prism54 could not upload firmware while loading the module.

You always need to have the firmware loaded, otherwise the card don't
work.

> So now I'm trying to install the drivers using linux.2.6.0-test9. This
> wouldn't even compile.

Don't patch the linux.2.6.0-test9 kernel, but compile the driver
separately. (i.e. "make modules; sudo make install" in your prism-ng/
directory from CVS) And get the latest code from CVS. It works with
the wireless tools, ie with the iwconfig command (and others)

To have firmware loaded, you need the latest hotplug tool, and you
need to configure it to load the firmware, so you need a symlink from
/usr/lib/firmware/isl3890 (I might be wrong, I just shutdown my
laptop) to your latest 1.0.4.3.arm firmware file.

> Another question: Is the SMC2835W known to work with this driver? It has
> an Prism Nitro chip set.

I happen to have exactly the same card, and I did manage to make it
work. I'm still having trouble with the WEP encryption keys, but I did
succeed once in using it.

There is a subtility with iwconfig when setting key. The man page
mentions that you must give the key number (starting from 1) between
square brackets. You really need square brackets, so for the command
   iwconfig eth0 key [2] open
you need on most shells to type
   iwconfig eth0 key '[2]' open

I did knew how to quote square brackets in shells, but I thought
(wrongly) that in the man pages, they are meta-symbols to indicate
optional stuff. But they are not (I glanced into the source code
iwconfig.c) - you need to have them literally.

I have a small annoyance with hotplu (on my Debian/sid laptop). the
hotplug runs the network hotplug stuff, which does ifdown or ifup, and
I don't want the hotplug to do that (otherwise I always have a count
of 1 on the module).

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net