[Prism54-users] Practical experience managing multiple "profiles" with Prism54 driver

S. Anderson sa@xmission.com
Thu, 25 Dec 2003 16:33:04 -0700

> > > But what does PC-cards are in part served by pcmcia-utils mean
> > > practically for a Prims54 PC-card?
> > >

> > just to clear things up, the prism54 cardbus cards has nothing to do
> > with pcmcia-cs. to linux these cards look just like a pci card.
>
> This is not completely true. If you have a cardbus NIC that uses the Prism54 driver, all the PCMCIA tools are still needed including the kernel drivers pcmcia_core, ds, and yenta_socket. cardmgr is not NECESSARY, but even with a true PCMCIA card it is not necessary. It only makes loading the drivers and/or hotswapping cards much easier.
>
> I have a D-Link DWL-G650 Cardbus NIC that uses the prism54 driver. I still use all of Gentoo's PCMCIA init scripts with this NIC. However, I can't help you with information on easily changing settings depending on your location because I only use my wireless in one place. All I can suggest is to make a shell script which does it for you as stated below. Good luck.

interesting... are you using linux 2.4?, mabey thats why you still need
pcmcia-cs?  here I also have a dwl-g650 with gentoo running linux 2.6
I dont even have pcmcia-cs installed, and all the hotswapping stuff
works just fine.

If you have some spare time can you try doing a rc-update del pcmcia default
and renaming /etc/pcmcia and then rebooting, im just curious to see if
the card will still work.

cya,
sa