[Prism54-users] Practical experience managing multiple "profiles" with Prism54 driver

Brian Bothwell sysrage@sysrage.net
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 23:09:43 -0800

--Signature=_Wed__24_Dec_2003_23_09_43_-0800_=hHTKw53pl/PGZla

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 06:36:41 -0700
"S. Anderson" <sa@xmission.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 05:58:56PM +0100, Stefan U. Hegner (Mobil) wrote:
> > Hi Nicolai,

> > > It may turn out that I'm the most confused ;-)
> >
> > Please not! - I'm really in need of sound guidance!

> > > Prism54 can sit on both PCI, mini PCI and PC-cards.  PC-cards, at least
> > > in the laptops I have, are still in part served by pcmcia-utils and
> > > cardctl.  PCI and mini PCI on the other hand us not handled by that at all.
> >
> > But what does PC-cards are in part served by pcmcia-utils mean
> > practically for a Prims54 PC-card?
> >

> just to clear things up, the prism54 cardbus cards has nothing to do
> with pcmcia-cs. to linux these cards look just like a pci card.

This is not completely true. If you have a cardbus NIC that uses the Prism54 driver, all the PCMCIA tools are still needed including the kernel drivers pcmcia_core, ds, and yenta_socket. cardmgr is not NECESSARY, but even with a true PCMCIA card it is not necessary. It only makes loading the drivers and/or hotswapping cards much easier.

I have a D-Link DWL-G650 Cardbus NIC that uses the prism54 driver. I still use all of Gentoo's PCMCIA init scripts with this NIC. However, I can't help you with information on easily changing settings depending on your location because I only use my wireless in one place. All I can suggest is to make a shell script which does it for you as stated below. Good luck.