[Prism54-users] Practical experience managing multiple "profiles" with Prism54 driver

Karl-Heinz Herrmann kh1dump@khherrmann.de
Fri, 26 Dec 2003 01:06:31 +0100

Hi,

could anybody clarify this in detail please?

For a pcmcia prism54 card (e.g. SMC2835W) you need:

- 2.4.23 kernel  (ok)

- prism54 patch  (ok)

- will the kernel pcmcia do?

- does the prism patch contain the necessary patches to the pcmcia?

- do you *need* pcmcia-cs (instead of kernel pcmcia support)?

- if pcmcia: I set the kernel to pcmcia "no" and compile the pcmcia-cs
  modules as directed in the pcmcia-cs package, i.e. externally in its
  own folder. prism54 patched into  the kernel then does not know  about
  about pcmcia as its off and  compiled without knolwedge of
  pcmcia-cs...

- Which of the pcmcia modules have to be loaded before prism54 can work?
  pcmcia_core ds and yenta_socket ?

I've an old version of isl3890 running (2.4.21-rc6 preemp patch) with
the smc2835W this runs with modules:

ds                      7008   2
i82365                 28320   2
pcmcia_core            42880   0  [ds i82365]

cardmgr is running

insertion of the card will load the islpci_cb.o module and card works.

With the new kernel (2.4.23) and kernel pcmcia i82365  is refusing to
load(no such device). Loading yenta_socket and ds works but starting
cardmgr is locking the system after telling me it's watching two
sockets. Loading prism54 fails with no device.

This is in a Dell Inspiron 8000.

Thanks a lot and merry chrsitmas,

K.-H.