[Prism54-users] pcmcia Problem for Prism54

Karl-Heinz Herrmann khh@khherrmann.de
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 20:24:41 +0100

Hi,

I found that Readme below and as the new prism54 seems to support a lot
more wireless extension features I wanted to give it a try.

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 13:16:34 -0500
Allen Winter <winterz@verizon.net> wrote:
> You can find the document at
> http://mysite.verizon.net/winterz/doc/prism54.txt

I tried the 2.4.22 with clean 2.4.23 patch from kernel org. I patched in
the patch-2.4.23-prism54-cvs20031205

This compiled (prism and Firmware loading enabled, cardbus enabled) and
I got pcmcia modules.

# PCMCIA/CardBus support
#
CONFIG_PCMCIA=m
CONFIG_CARDBUS=y
CONFIG_I82365=y

# Prism54 Driver - 802.11(a/b/g)
#
CONFIG_PRISM54=m
CONFIG_FW_LOADER=m
CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS=y

My current kernel is a 2.4.21-rc6 with the former ISL3890 patch and as
far as I remember i had to *not* patch in pcmcia-cs code, the full code
was in the isl3890 patch. The old setup is running (apart from a
hardware problem in the smc2835W which seems to work only
in a fridge the last two weeks...).

Now with the new kernel I cant get pcmcia to work.
I got in:

/lib/modules/2.4.23/pcmcia/
ds.o
pcmcia_core.o
i82365.o
yenta_socket.o

prism54.o is IIRC in a different place (kernel/drivers/....

The working setup is running on  [lsmod]
ds                      7008   2
i82365                 28320   2
pcmcia_core            42880   0  [ds i82365]

cardmgr is running

With the new kernel i82365  is refusing to load (no such device).
system after telling me it's watching two sockets.

Am I supposed to patch in pcmcia-cs after all? Can Anybody recommend a
version (Dell I8000)? First pcmcia-cs then prism54?

Thanks,

K.-H.