[Prism54-devel] Netgear WG511

Dominik Strehlke dominik at strehlke.info
Tue Nov 9 10:26:38 UTC 2004

Hey Carl,

On Tuesday 09 November 2004 09:12, Carl Myers wrote:
> I recently purchased a Netgear WG511 card online, hoping to replace my
> broadcom chipset with one that has native linux driver support.  Alas,
> it was impossible to tell from the order page, and I didn't even know
> there were versions which the driver support doesn't work on (namely,
> the newer v3.0 "made-in-china" ones).
>
> I am writing to ask for confirmation that the drivers are known to not
> work with this card, and ask if any known workarounds exist.

I have the same problem. Looking in the prism54 forum it turned out that we
are not the only ones. Concerning workarounds I was proposed to try
ndiswrapper which allows you to use Windows driver binaries to get the card
working on Linux. It did not work for me as well. If you figure something
out, please let us know.

I've also heard that Conexant is about to(?) provide the prism54 developers
with specs about the chipset used in the v3 WG511. Are there any news about
that? Will a driver for that card be available in reasonable time or is it
wiser to sell the card and get a new one?

Thanks for your time and help
Cheers
Dominik