[Prism54-devel] Versioning system

Luis R. Rodriguez Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@ruslug.rutgers.edu
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 23:51:25 -0500

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 05:18:24PM +0100, Johannes Steingraeber wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 03:03:21AM -0500, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > we may move from CVS to subversion. Any comments in favor/against this?
>
> Hmm, why change a running system?

It was just suggested. Hence my question for RFC.

> There are some advantages of subversion, but I cannot see that any of
> them does apply to prism54. May be branching is easier but it's too
> seldom used to give real benefit. Both way diffed traffic is not
> really needed for low volume/size sources. Can diff binaries, again
> not used by prism54.

I checked it out and the only relevant possible advantage I saw was
support for WebDAV. This would alleviate some headaches for providing accounts
(currently all developers get a unix account on the server, and use cvs
with ssh).

> Main disadvantages: depends on external libraries, data format is not
> that transparent.

Yes, also apache2 is required for WebDAV, I'd need a backport of Apache2 for
Debian, which is available anyway. SSL would have to be setup though
(not required but I'd do it).

> Personally I do like flat file storage much more as long as it is
> appropriate. Frankly, I cannot see any advantage of moving to
> subversion.

I guess since this project is not so big this is true. If we want to easily
provide access to the developers later I think subversion would be the
way to go. It requires more work to setup but I it seems promising to
allow quick growth.

For now, OK let's stick to CVS.

Now I go to complete our 2.6 CVS module.

--
GnuPG Key fingerprint = 113F B290 C6D2 0251 4D84  A34A 6ADD 4937 E20A 525E