[Prism54-devel] Versioning system

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr@hvrlab.org
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 06:04:52 +0100

On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 05:51, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> I checked it out and the only relevant possible advantage I saw was
> support for WebDAV. This would alleviate some headaches for providing accounts
> (currently all developers get a unix account on the server, and use cvs
> with ssh).

you forgot to mention the 'svn move/rename' support, which allows to
move around folders/files while retaining history information, something
that might be very useful when planing to reorganise source code...

while at it, another (gpl'ed) SCM tool would be GNU Arch -
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-arch/, which also has interesting
features (some shared with svn, some not (yet))

anyway, this was just meant as a suggestion to take a look at
alternatives to CVS, since many people have problems of getting some of
its operations right (especially branching/tagging/merging-back)

btw, on a different note, there should be cvs and svn gateways (only one
direction afaik) to the linux kernel bitkeeper repository (just don't
remember the url)... in case someone wants to avoid the questionable
bitkeeper license...

regards,