[Prism54-devel] Fragments for transmit; copy skbuf on receive?

Feyd feyd@seznam.cz
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 23:08:50 +0100

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 15:13:07 +0100
Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer@gmx.net> wrote:

> Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
> > btw, the fragmentation support in the tx code path looks unnecessary
> > to me too on first sight, although I'm wondering too, why it was
> > written in the first place... but on the other hand, there was other
> > stuff from ISL which didn't make much sense wrt the linux kernel;
>
> Do we have a contact for the original driver authors so we can
> find out?
>
> Even if the chipset can do frames larger than 1500 bytes, it still
> wouldn't make much sense to use fragmentation:  Just pass the full
> 8KB or so skbuff to the device and be done.  Unless the device
> is limited to 1500 bytes fragments in its DMA engine, which would
> seem very odd.

The chipset doesnt seem to be able to transmit frames larger than
1546 bytes, no matter if fragmented or not. At least my quick attempt
(I tried to examine how do large frames affect the throughput) failed.

Feyd