[Prism54-devel] prism54-usb firmware loading

Helmar Spangenberg hspangenberg at frey.de
Mon Jun 7 09:13:51 UTC 2004

Am Sonntag, 6. Juni 2004 23:02 schrieb Mark Reiche:
> Hello Helmar,
>
> I have some questions regarding your post about those Medion USB-Dongles:
>
>  From the patched-in USB-ID I guess you also own the Medion MD40900
> (XG-701A).

Exactly ;-)

> What firmware did you take? I extracted it from the windows
> driver, using the guide somewhere linked in this list... It has version
> 2.4.3.0 and is only 28316Bytes long.

No, I didn't. For the time being I took the firmware which was distributed
from prism54.org. To my opinion, it should not make too much difference, but
since you already have extracted the newer version - I would be very happy to
get hands on it ;-).

> Did you finally succeed? I can load the driver/firmware and even ifup
> the eth-device, but I get no data over it. Also, the wireless-tools
> (iwconfig, iwlist, ...)  do not find the required functionality...

Hm ;-). Actually, the driver is not yet capable of doing any more than
creating an interface and downloading the software. Still, there is quite a
lot of work to be done to port the parts of the server which operates on the
pci/cardbus interface to USB.
I intend to do a port of the rest of the functions belonging to the
pci/cardbus interface during the next weeks. Unfortunately, in real life I am
working on an urgent project, too, thus my time is rather limited :-(((

BTW - has anybody worked on the USB driver in the last days? I would be glad
if we could concentrate our efforts to get that thing running. No work should
be done twice.... ;-)

> Thank you for the work already done.

Those merits should go to Feyd, as far as I know he actually wrote the USB
driver. My part was only to have an idea about what let the driver crash ;-)

Helmar