[Prism54-devel] Output power regulation - SMC2802W

Bjørn Mork bjorn@mork.no
Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:01:12 +0100

Aquila <aquilaver@yahoo.com> writes:

> Another limitation is the domain setting, if the card
> is able to output 30 dBm but the domain is set to ETSI
> (with a limit of 20dBm) then it will only output 20dBm
> (and 18.5dBm on the edge channels 1&13). As opposed to
> the FCC domain which is limited to 30dBm on channels
> 2-10 and something like 17-18dBm on channels 1 & 11
> (edge channels). I'm told this is for spurious
> emissions to meet regulatory requirements. If anyone
> knows the proper regulatory limits, please correct me
> if I'm quoting those limits incorrectly.

Don't know anything about FCC and others, but the ETSI EN 300 328
limit is 20 dBm eirp (with an additional limit of -20 dBW per MHz for
DSSS).  There's no special limits on the edge channels, but lower
power on the edges might be required to meet adjacent channel
requirements.  Note that you also have to take the antenna into
account to get the equivalent isotropically radiated power, so 20 dBm
out of the amplifier isn't always allowed...

You'll find the regulatory limits for most european countries in
http://www.ero.dk/doc98/Official/Pdf/REC7003E.PDF

Bjørn (who once used to work with these things for the Norwegian
regulatory authority - not anymore, no worries :-)