[Prism54-devel] Re: [Prism54-users] Output power regulation - SMC2802W

Aquila aquilaver@yahoo.com
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 02:46:43 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

Sorry to interject :)

You can have a negative dBm value like Aurelien
stated. If I remember correctly there are a couple of
factors that play a roll in the max and min of this
setting.
1) The max output power level that the card has been
calibrated for.
2) The domain setting.
3) The hardware components.

I have tested this OID by hooking the card up to a
spectrum analyzer and measuring the output levels with
a power meter, the OID does indeed work. The lowest
value is zero dBm on the cards I tested (reference
design cards), I was told that this was a limitation
of the PA on the card. That it wasn't able to go below
0 dBm. But if a different card manufacturer uses a
different PA it might be possible to go lower (I guess
the question is: why would you want to?).

The maximum value that the card outputs is the value
that the card is calibrated for. EG. if the card is
manufactured to output a max of 15 dBm then even if
you set the OID to 127 the card will still only output
15dBm. 127 doesn't seem to be an "auto" setting.

Another limitation is the domain setting, if the card
is able to output 30 dBm but the domain is set to ETSI
(with a limit of 20dBm) then it will only output 20dBm
(and 18.5dBm on the edge channels 1&13). As opposed to
the FCC domain which is limited to 30dBm on channels
2-10 and something like 17-18dBm on channels 1 & 11
(edge channels). I'm told this is for spurious
emissions to meet regulatory requirements. If anyone
knows the proper regulatory limits, please correct me
if I'm quoting those limits incorrectly.

Regards,
Aquila