[Prism54-devel] Re: [Prism54-users] Output power regulation - SMC2802W

Aurelien slts@free.fr
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 11:12:42 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:49:12 +0200
kaleda <gadeanta@soften.ktu.lt> wrote:

> > 2) There is probably a value for automatic mode (127 ?).
> Also no documentatation.
> But one note: when I bring the card up - the default value in output
> power oid is _always_ 127, so maybe this is auto mode.

Yep that's what made me think this was auto mode.

> > 3) How does it behaves with negative values ?
> ???
> What do you mean negative values ??? How strangth can be negative ?
> And as I already mentioned - you cannot set value bigger than 127, so
> there's no negative value.

Well, a power in dBm can be negative. And when I tried your patch, I was able to set the oid to some negative value.

 > 4) Does it really works as expected ? I'm not able to test it...
> I also have no specific equipment to precise measure output power.
> But simple experiment showed that it changes:
> I set output power to max (127) and connect with client.
> I set output power to much lesser value (e.g.70), client shows lower
> connection quality.
> Again set txpower to lower (lets say 10), client shows event lower
> quality.
> So I think it works.

Ok, it works :-)

> > And last but not least, I don't think this feature will be usefull.
> > Max value is hardware (or firmware ?) coded, and by default card
adjusts
> > power dynamically (allowing max value).
> If you're using prism54 card in client mode - its useless, 'cause afaik
> cards sets output power according to AP output power ( correct me, if
> I'm wrong).
> But in AP mode it's very usefull.

I don't know and I don't use AP mode. That's probably why I didn't find it usefull...

> > But if anyone find it usefull, feel free to work on it...
> Ok, I'll try to submit another patch, to newer driver version
> 'cause since last time I patched it, many things changed in the > driver.

Cool. Please put some usefull comment in your code...

	...And justice for all