[Prism54-users] Hooray for the XG-900

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Sun Mar 20 17:31:07 UTC 2005

If you want a PCI card that does 802.11g, I can happily recommend the
XG-900.  It has GPLed drivers (now included in the official Linux
kernel), actively maintained.  It interoperates with my LinkSys WRT 54g
and my Apple Airport Extreme.  I bought my XG-900 from zcomax.com.
They gave me speedy service, a reasonable price and then threw in free
shipping via UPS.  I couldn't get the thing to behave properly at
first, but this turned out to be IRQ conflicts.  Once I got that
straightened out everything just worked.

Later I gave my XG-900 to my wife, who put it in her new Athlon
workstation, installed Ubuntu Linux, and at the end of the install
(which was quick and painless -- Hooray Ubuntu!) the wireless network
was up and running.  The only configuration question it asked her was
"What's the name of the wireless network you want to join, or leave
blank to join any.".

Apparently wireless cards with Free Software drivers are a dying breed,
so get your XG-900 today while they last!

Regards,

Zooko

, who has no affiliation or financial benefit from zcomax.com or the
XG-900 manufacturer