[Prism54-users] Conexant and SMC2802 V2 (subsystem 1113:ee03)

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at ruslug.rutgers.edu
Tue Oct 26 11:00:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 12:22:10PM +0200, Hans Kramer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I understand from the Prism54.org web site, you are currently working
> on getting specs/firmware/etc from Conexant Systems Inc.
> I would like to know whether there is any progress on this process?
> Could we (linux users, owners of V2 hardware) do something to get this
> moving forward? I am willing to write a letter to Conexant; perhaps if
> they realize there is a market they will move forward quicker. I bet you
> guys are caught up in lawyer BS.. red tape scenario!
>
> Currently, I have a SMC2802 V2 card and tried several options (such as
> ndiswrapper, it crashed my kernel linuxant stk16ksmp; the linuxant
> solution works but crashes the kernel while running nmap... etc) which
> are all very unsatisfactory. While I can try to obtain another card (I
> got to return this one on Friday) I expect that in the long run all the
> hardware will eventually replace with the new V2 systems. This looks
> like grime future for wireless on Linux... I hope I am wrong!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hans

Hans,

the update is Conexant hasn't gotten back to us in a while. Talks always
resume but then die out. This has been an unfortunate trend with them.
We already know who to talk to, and they are aware of our project and
they claim to definitely want to support our team... talks just always
die out.

If we had access to proper documenation and if Conexant were to be more
active with our team I can gaurantee you that we would've had a good solid
SoftMAC driver ready for massive consumption by now.

The BSD community has joined our efforts in trying to get proper
documentation from Conexant now. We're hoping this will help the cause.
If you wish to assist in writing a letter please do. This will be
appriciated. Please feel free to write it as from the prism54.org team.
As for rounding up users to do something more -- I feel this is unnecessary
now as they *should* already be aware we have a large user-base and I *know*
they are aware of us and have told us they want to help.

I'll try to get a solid response from them soon and if they really aren't
willing to work with us we have no option but to start looking at
alternative wireless hardware for linux. It'd be their loss, not ours.

	Luis

--
GnuPG Key fingerprint = 113F B290 C6D2 0251 4D84  A34A 6ADD 4937 E20A 525E