[Prism54-users] 'soft reset timed out' errors and irq not busy- 3com + TI PCI1410

Dr. Tobias Damm tobias@dr-t-damm.de
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 00:22:27 +0100

Am Montag, 1. M=E4rz 2004 23:57 schrieb Marc Smeets:
> Hi,
>
> in answer to Luis regarding the 3com card that is not functioning.
>
> I followed your steps and checked additional stuff. No answers yet.
> The card is functioning. I used it the whole weekend on an other (w2k)
> laptop. It works fine.
> My /proc/interupts tells me that only the card bus controller shares the
> same irq. Which in my opinion should be normal. When my onboard nic gets
> enabled, it gets the same irq. But irq sharing is not a bad thing.
> Besides, I still get the same soft reset timd out error even if the
> whole onboard nic never gets an irq.
> So my logfile still tells me the same:
>
> laptop eth0: islpci_open()
> laptop eth0: resetting device...
> laptop eth0: uploading firmware
> laptop eth0: firmware upload done, now triggering reset...
> laptop eth0: device soft reset timed out...
> laptop eth0: timeout waiting for mgmt response 100, triggin device
> etc etc all kinds of errors that are not interesting because of the time
> out.
>
> But what I'm wondering is if that reset error is sent by hotplug or by
> the kernel/prism-driver.
>
> As I speak/type I'm on irc getting help, and adjusting my laptop. I just
> updated hotplug and got rid of pcmcia-cs. With the newest hotplug
> (20040105) the error is a bit different.
> The last thing I see is
>
> laptop eth0: prism54 driver detected card model: 3COM 3CRWE154G72
>
> It doesn't start the firmware loading. So that could be a hotplug issue.
> But when I release the card it says
>
> laptop Assuming someone else called the IRQ

Dear Marc,

see for Interupt problems:

http://prism54.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3D171

I had the same error: "Assuming someone else called the IRQ"

I found error in the first part in my /var/log/boot.msg during APIC start.

I made an Update of my BIOS and now there are no error.

But, I am in the moment not able to retest the error situation.

Perhaps this solves your problem.

Regards=20

Tobias