[Prism54-users] 'soft reset timed out' errors and irq not busy- 3com + TI PCI1410

Marc Smeets m.smeets@nedlinux.nl
Mon, 01 Mar 2004 23:57:04 +0100

Hi,

in answer to Luis regarding the 3com card that is not functioning.

I followed your steps and checked additional stuff. No answers yet.
The card is functioning. I used it the whole weekend on an other (w2k)
laptop. It works fine.
My /proc/interupts tells me that only the card bus controller shares the
same irq. Which in my opinion should be normal. When my onboard nic gets
enabled, it gets the same irq. But irq sharing is not a bad thing.
Besides, I still get the same soft reset timd out error even if the
whole onboard nic never gets an irq.
So my logfile still tells me the same:

laptop eth0: islpci_open()
laptop eth0: resetting device...
laptop eth0: uploading firmware
laptop eth0: firmware upload done, now triggering reset...
laptop eth0: device soft reset timed out...
laptop eth0: timeout waiting for mgmt response 100, triggin device
etc etc all kinds of errors that are not interesting because of the time
out.

But what I'm wondering is if that reset error is sent by hotplug or by
the kernel/prism-driver.

As I speak/type I'm on irc getting help, and adjusting my laptop. I just
updated hotplug and got rid of pcmcia-cs. With the newest hotplug
(20040105) the error is a bit different.
The last thing I see is

laptop eth0: prism54 driver detected card model: 3COM 3CRWE154G72

It doesn't start the firmware loading. So that could be a hotplug issue.
But when I release the card it says

laptop Assuming someone else called the IRQ
laptop eth0: hot unplug detected
laptop eth0: removing device
laptop eth0 cs: cb_free(bus 2)

he only one who has the same IRQ is the card bus controller..so how
could he assuming someone elsed called?

The card bus controller is a Texas Instruments PCI1410, which is
supported in 2.4

Help, suggestions and feedback from 3com and Texas Instruments users
needed.

Marc