[Prism54-users] WG511 loses connection to AP and dies

Max spamhole at gmx.at
Tue Jul 6 17:44:53 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 08:29:43AM +0200, Margit Schubert-While wrote:

Hi Margit,

- I have the WG602v2 running with firmware 3.2rc6 since a few days,
that didn't help.

- The problem also exists in ad-hoc mode without any AP, although not
as bad (see my mail from yesterday). In ad-hoc mode the ping response
time becomes very high (2 seconds), but it doesn't completely lose
it's connection.

- There is absolutly nothing in the system log when this happens. Are
there any compile time options that can be enabled to get more output
to the logs?

- When this happens, the green led on the WG511 stays on (as if it was still
connected to the AP) but I can not exchange any data until I reload the
firmware with ifconfig up/down or until I use iwconfig to switch to some
other mode and back to managed.

- I did a simple test yesterday:

I started sending pings to the AP from both the WG511 and from the
OvisLink card. After some time the WG511 stopped getting any pings back,
while the OvisLink was still sending/receiving it's pings. I think this
means that the problem is at the WG511 and not at the AP.

- I don't think that I have any power management :-) at least none that
activates every few minutes, sometimes seconds.

- I have already tried another WG511 to make sure that this problem is
not caused by corrupted hardware.

- I remember that I was already able to transfer several gigabytes of
data over the WLAN card without this problem. But that was some months
and kernel and prism54 versions ago! :-( There could be many things that
have changed in the meantime, although I don't remember any important
kernel-config changes.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to get more information for you!

thanks,
Max