[Prism54-users] Netgear WG311 Installation

Kasper Fischer kasper.fischer@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:10:55 +0100

Hi,

are you (or anybody else) sure that the Netgear WG311 card is supported
by the prism54 driver?
I have read that it has a Atheros chipset (look around for the madwifi
project).

BTW:  Can somwone clean up the 'supported cards' database? There are
i.e. multiple entries for the netgear WG511 card.
I also would like to know what the difference is between 'supported' and
'perfect'.

Kasper

m0bius wrote:

>So it seems that this is not going to be an easy day...
>
>I've searched at the supported cards list and Netgear WG311 802.11g PCI =
is
>considered supported (has 6 successful installations). However I cannot =
seem
>to get this thing to work...
>
>Let's start:
>
>I am using Slackware 9.1 with kernel 2.6.1. I've installed the prism mod=
ule
>by patching up the kernel. I've installed the firmware to the directory
>specified and added as well the firmware.agent. I have hotplug firmware
>installed as a kernel module (firmware_class.ko). So it seems that
>everything is set up from this side. I've also have created a sysfs moun=
>point mounted at /sys
>
>So I do something like:=20
>Shell> modprobe firmware_class
>Shell> modprobe prism54
>
>The output I get by loading the module is:=20
>Loaded prism54 driver, version 1.0.2.2
>
>But from that moment on nothing. I've looked into /sys/class/firmware/ b=
ut
>there is no entry like the register_firmware() has not been called at al=
l.

>I've even tried changing the VERBOSE define on islpci_mgt.h but there ar=
e no
>outputs at all.
>
>Here's the output from lspci -vvv:
>
>00:0d.0 Ethernet controller: Unknown device 168c:0013 (rev 01)
>        Subsystem: Netgear: Unknown device 4900
>        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParE=
rr-
>Step
>ping- SERR- FastB2B-
t-
><TAbort
>- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
>        Latency: 32 (2500ns min, 7000ns max), cache line size 08
>        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 9
>        Region 0: Memory at e4000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=3D=
64K]
>        Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
>                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=3D0mA
>PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot
>-,D3cold-)
>
>I would really need some help...
>
>Thanks in advance,