[Prism54-users] tx power

Aquila aquilaver@yahoo.com
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 06:24:43 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

There is no way that it would actually be transmitting
at 31dBm, no one would pass regulatory ;).

Maybe it's not a good idea to indicate the Tx-Power as
an actual dBm value (unless you can actually measure
that somewhere). Besides, the output power will vary
depending on things such as the hardware and even the
rate at which a frame is sent at. CCK frames are sent
out with a stronger signal, as opposed to OFDM frames.

Maybe it's better to have three settings:
- Low		(0-6 dBm)
- Medium	(7-14 dBm)
- High		(15-30 dBm)

You probably won't get a card that does more than 20
dBm in most domains anyway so 15-30 would make sense.

Stating that this output power setting is only an
initial value and not the actual output level might be
good idea.

It's just an idea, (use it/don't use it) ;)

I personally think it's misleading to give the actual
value of the OID if the firmware restricts the output
level anyway. Unfortunately I can't think of an OID
which gives the actual TX signal strength. Anyone else
find something like this anywhere in the header
files/sources?

Regards,
Aquila