[Prism54-users] Netgear WG511, Kernel 2.4.23 TRAP

Karl-Heinz Herrmann kh1dump@khherrmann.de
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:55:09 +0100

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:38:04 +0100
Rene van Bevern <rvb@rvb.dyndns.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:45:01PM -0500, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > Sorry typo, what is your iwevent output, not iwpriv ;)
>
> Well. It makes exactly no difference at all wether i use iwevent with
> or without WEP. :( Is that a bad sign? So ... the output stays the
> same, just as in the previous mail.

Hi,

from my tests with SMC hardware:

A wrong WEP key will not keep a client card from associating with an AP
only the data transmissions won't work (not even ping). iwconfig will
show AP data, link LED comes on, etc.

So as you get rejected all the time something is fishy between the two.
Either SSID is messed up somehow or  the card insists on "g" while the
AP can only do "b" as you said. From the early drivers there was a
setoid command for "g only" -- but it should not be the default.

Testing that card on that AP with any other OS would maybe help deciding
where the problems are. Alternatively try to take the Lap with the 511
card to some other AP and check if you get it working there.

My SMC card died with heat problems and was simply not connecting either
before it got replaced. Constantly blinking and switching through the
channels, never associating.

K.-H.