[Prism54-users] Can't make a SMC2802W work. Maybe it's my hardware setup? Doing something wrong?

Jens Maurer Jens.Maurer@gmx.net
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 14:59:42 +0100

bapm wrote:
> I tested this after and before your patch.
>
> I was really happy to see new code in CVS hopping it would solve my problem
> but no it didn't solve and I think ifup yields a new error message with the
 > current CVS version:
>
>   [root@galaxy etc]# ifup eth3
>   SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable
>   Failed to bring up eth3.

I believe this error message is *better* than having the "ifconfig up"
succeed, because, as you found out, even after the "ifconfig up",
we didn't know the MAC address of the device and it was not working.
So, now we at least show an error message to alert people that their
card is not working.

> and dmesg outputs the following:
[...]
> eth3: device soft reset timed out

> Before the patch ifup worked with no MAC address.
> I already tried to increase the wait time but only 2* HZ.

Thanks, so this is not the issue.

> And the output of /proc/interrupts with no interrupt count? That is wierd
 > isn't it?

Yes indeed, that's very weird.  You should see the "reset ack" interrupt
in there.

Btw, I think it has nothing to do with PCI 2.1 vs. PCI 2.2: PCI 2.2
cards should be downward compatible with PCI 2.1 mainboards.

> How do I know the firmware really got uploaded?

You don't. :-(

Ok, I'll be working on a few more things here (probably try to
send another reset after the timeout).  Are you willing to test a
few (experimental) patches?

Jens Maurer