[Prism54-users] Help: SMC2802W - firmware loading fails, eth0 does not start

Karl-Heinz Herrmann kh1dump@khherrmann.de
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:10:01 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 03:44:12 -0500
Milan Zimmermann <milan.zimmermann@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Are you saying I have to run "ifconfig/iwconfig eth0 up" or similar
> for the firmware.agent to be called? I tried "iwconfig eth0" and it
> said "eth0 does not exist ... But in dmesg I see it's attempting to
> load the firmware, but it fails.

In my case loading the modules (SMC2835, SuSE7.x, heavily modernised)
was *not* laoding the firmware. Firmware loading is triggered by
ifconfig eth0 up.
After successful loading of the firmware iwconfig eth0 will show
details.

Here it's something like this:

kernel knows of a hotplug system.

# cat /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
/sbin/hotplug

# ll /sbin/hotplug
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         1160 Jan  8 22:33 /sbin/hotplug

This script is doing the  work, e.g. calling other agents.

Check the script and put some debugging logging in there. I have two
/etc/hotplug dirs (one with "*.d") -- only the /etc/hotplug seems to be
used.

K.-H.