[Prism54-users] Help: SMC2802W - firmware loading fails, eth0 does not start

Jens Maurer Jens.Maurer@gmx.net
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 20:17:15 +0100

Milan Zimmermann wrote:
> I'd like to get some suggestion on how to debug this problem, for example, can
> I put some echos inside the firmware.agent and see what the $DEVPATH and
> $FIRMWARE are set to?  Where do they come from when firmware.agent is
> executed? If I set the DEBUG=yes, where is the output going to be?

All the hotplug stuff are simple shell scripts, so you can put in
"echo" statements as much as you please.  To circumvent any potential
issues with syslog etc., I'd recommend doing it so
   echo "hello I'm here" >> /tmp/mylog

This will put the stuff in /tmp/mylog, which is the most direct
way you'll get debugging info out of the script.

Make a backup copy before changing any script, and then hack
away until you find out the control flow in your specific
case.  And where it fails the firmware loading.

Jens Maurer