[Prism54-users] Modprobe problem with ISL3890 Driver in IXP425

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof@ruslug.rutgers.edu
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 19:50:33 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Jens Maurer wrote:

> #
> Tan Choon Siang wrote:
> > I've ported the isl3890 driver for mini-pci card on ixp425 platform.
>
> What is the "ixp425" platform?  Is it Intel-based? What did you change
> for the porting?  Please contribute it here (or send it to me in private
> e-mail) so that it can be integrated.

It's a development platform by intel. That's all I know. I'd like to know
the specs too.

Intel had actually sent out a patch to me back a while ago to get it to
work on the ixp platforms and I *did* integrate the changes... they were
really minimal -- the usual porting things like using u8, etc.

They're patch was rather lengthy on the old getoid and setoid utilities
that were dropped over for linux wireless tools support.

If there are really any changes please do submit them to us, as the
driver *should* be working on multiple platforms, at least that is our
purpose. So far it's been reported to work on: MIPS, PPC, x86-64, x86
(duh).

>  > The
> > version used is ISL3890-0.1.0. After building the package, I try to load
> > the driver by executing the modprobe command: Modprobe islpci
>
> The version that I use here is 1.0.2.2.  Did you download the driver
> from prism54.org?  Also, the module name should be named prism54.o .
> It appears you're using an old driver.

Yeah Jens, he's using the really old driver... based on the
http://ruslug.rutgers.edu/~mcgrof/802.11g/

> > Loaded islpci, version 1.0.1.0
> >
> > ERROR: File opening did not success
>
> Did you follow the instructions about firmware.agent and placing
> the Intersil firmware that is on the prism54.org website?

The old driver doesn't use the linux firmware upload functionality and
used its own. This is basically the *key* to allowing this old driver to
work on older kernels than 2.4.23.

We *could* do a check for kernel and use the old firmware upload routines
for older kernels but not sure if there's much demand for it.

	Luis