[Prism54-users] Prism able to "spoof" MAC addresses?

Richard Atterer richard@list04.atterer.net
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 17:28:19 +0100

Hello,

today, I tried to set up bridging on a Linux host between an ethernet
segment (xover cable to another host) and the WLAN. This didn't work; the
Linux bridge did not forward frames in the ethernet->WLAN
direction, only in the WLAN->ethernet one.

Does the hardware/firmware of my Netgear WG511 allow the driver to set
different MAC addresses for different outgoing frames?

The respective FAQ at http://bridge.sourceforge.net/faq.html states that
the firmware of many WLAN cards does not allow you to make outgoing frames
have arbitrary MAC addresses, so bridging does not work. However, it has
the following to say:

  If you urgently need to have a wireless lan card which is able to bridge,
  you should use one of those having the prism chipset onboard
  (manufactured by Harris Intersil). There are drivers for those cards
  available at www.linux-wlan.com (which is the website from Absoval), and
  I found a mail that says that there is the necessary firmware and an
  upload tool available for Linux to the public.

But this info is old (2001) and probably only applies to the old Prism
chipset.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  0x888354F7
  ¯ '` ¯