[Prism54-users] Problems with a 3COM 3CRWE154G72

Peter Leinen peter@na.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 11:23:42 +0100

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 01:05:15AM +0100, Jens Maurer wrote:

> Peter Leinen wrote:
> >that's simple:
> >I can't connect to other hosts and do not see any connection to the AP
>
> >eth1      Scan completed :
> >          Cell 01 - Address: 00:0D:54:9C:8C:56
> >                    ESSID:"XXX"
> >                    Mode:Master
> >                    Encryption key:off
> >                    Frequency:2.457GHz
> >                    Quality:155/0  Signal level:-48 dBm  Noise level:-203
> >                    dBm
>
> This is what the card determined just by listening to the broadcasts
> of the access point(s) around it.
>
> Just to make sure:  Have you really set the ESSID?
>    iwconfig eth1 essid XXX
> (Since you're using a non-null essid, you need to set it, otherwise
> the card will not even try to establish a connection.)
I have to use a non-null ESSID, because of the configuration of the AP
iwevent at least show
	10:07:23.229163 eth1  ESSID:"XXX"

> Now, "iwconfig eth1" should show a non-00 "Access Point" address.
__NO__ it dosn't show an AP. I also try to set the AP by hand with no access.

> If that shows, you're connected from a 802.11 WLAN point of view.
That would be nice ...

> Now, you need to get your IP connection on top of that.
> Do you have DHCP? Then, start your DHCP client.  Check with
> "ifconfig eth1" that you got an IP address.  If so, check
> with "ping" to a well-known IP address (don't use a DNS name
> yet, DNS lookup could be broken).  Then, use a DNS name.
> If that works, you're likely in business.
>
> Jens Maurer

Regards
  Peter