[Prism54-users] Problems with a 3COM 3CRWE154G72

Jens Maurer Jens.Maurer@gmx.net
Tue, 06 Jan 2004 01:05:15 +0100

Peter Leinen wrote:
> that's simple:
> I can't connect to other hosts and do not see any connection to the AP

> eth1      Scan completed :
>           Cell 01 - Address: 00:0D:54:9C:8C:56
>                     ESSID:"XXX"
>                     Mode:Master
>                     Encryption key:off
>                     Frequency:2.457GHz
>                     Quality:155/0  Signal level:-48 dBm  Noise level:-203 dBm

This is what the card determined just by listening to the broadcasts
of the access point(s) around it.

Just to make sure:  Have you really set the ESSID?
    iwconfig eth1 essid XXX
(Since you're using a non-null essid, you need to set it, otherwise
the card will not even try to establish a connection.)

Now, "iwconfig eth1" should show a non-00 "Access Point" address.
If that shows, you're connected from a 802.11 WLAN point of view.

Now, you need to get your IP connection on top of that.
Do you have DHCP? Then, start your DHCP client.  Check with
"ifconfig eth1" that you got an IP address.  If so, check
with "ping" to a well-known IP address (don't use a DNS name
yet, DNS lookup could be broken).  Then, use a DNS name.
If that works, you're likely in business.

Jens Maurer