[Prism54-users] Help: SMC2802W - firmware loading fails, eth0 does not start

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann@sympatico.ca
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 13:26:37 -0500

Hi,

I am trying to setup SMC2802W on SuSE 8.2.

Downloaded the Dec 8 2003 version of Prism54 driver source.

I tried to follow everything described in the README:

	- downloaded, built (with options as described) and boot kernel 2.4.23
	- /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/isl3890 present
	- binutils and wireless-tools installed
	- build the prism54 as module (#2 in README)

Then  I used SuSE Yast to configure the eth0 wireless interface - something
must be right as Yast showed "prism54" as module (without me typing it
there). I am not sure what SuSE is doing there but it seems good.

However, on boot I get (typing it in, do not have that box on network :-( and
no fd0):

	Loaded prism54 driver. Version 1.0.2.2
	PCI:found IRQ 11 for device 00:09.0
	PCI:sharing IRQ 11 with 00:01.4
	eth0: Uploading firmware ...
	prism54: request_firmware() failed for 'isl3890'
	eth0: could not upload firmware ('isl3890')

Not sure why - I do seem to have firmware installed, as indicated by "ksyms
-a" described in the README. The only thing I am not sure is correct is that
I do not seem to have "firmware.agent" the README talks about (and I do not
have any idea of what it is and where to get it...)

Any help or point appreciated, Thanks Milan