[Prism54-users] Revisit: CVS - WEP = Crashes FIXED

J Yunke yunke@productivity.org
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 00:42:33 -0600 (CST)

Hi Everyone --

  In a previous e-mail I wrote to users, I admitted having a problem with
a Pentium II-233 with an SMC2802W PCI card with the version of CVS at the
time.  Someone wrote in and said I didn't have enough CPU, another
person wrote that this was likely not the case, and a third person
suggested that the level of PCI standard my machine was using could be
causing issues.

  I compiled a fresh 2.4.25 kernel with today's CVS, and it's been working
like a charm.  I have 128-bit WEP enabled, explicit MACs configured, and
am able to communicate between the firewall (56Mbps), my Windows 2000
desktop (11Mbps), and my Windows XP laptop (56Mbps) with no issues, for
over 15 minutes.

  Before, my connection would drop within seconds if I turned on WEP, and
if I had WEP off, a simple steady-but-large file transfer would cause a
kernel panic on the firewall.  So, I have been crippled until today --
being careful not to transfer any large files without dropping to a wired
connection.  I dreaded switching cards out and going back to the stable
Hostap project and losing the speed.

  To the developers on this project -- GOOD WORK!  I see steady progress,
and that is fantastic for such a relatively young project.

-- Justin