[Prism54-users] iwspy functionality w/ prism54

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof@ruslug.rutgers.edu
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 00:04:30 -0500

--TRYliJ5NKNqkz5bu

Attention *Jean*

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:42:50PM -0600, Bob Farmer wrote:
> Since there is currently no iwspy functionality in the Prism driver, we=
=20
> (myself and/or colleagues) are considering implementing it ourselves.=20
> We require the ability to collect link quality stats on the individual=20
> nodes in an ad hoc network.
>=20
> However, there does not seem to be any clue in the driver as to how one=
=20
> would obtain the link quality data.  It appears that the driver is=20
> obtaining link quality stats in AP mode by querying it via the BSSID,=20
> but I'm guessing that wouldn't help for ad hoc mode.  Does anyone know=20
> how one would go about obtaining the data? =20

I'd check other drivers and see what they are doing. If its about
intercepting 802.11 Ad-Hoc packets and generating wireless statistics
for each node I think that then this is generic. Why would it be
driver-specific? Unless of course, I've missed the whole concept of
iwpsy.

> Is there a programming=20
> manual for this chip that is publicly available?

Yes, it's called the RM034. Globespan has it available under NDA. You'll
have to contact them if you want to get it. I was told by Globespan we
(prism54 team) were probably going to get them offered (under NDA) but
haven't heard back (along with the firmware license that was promissed).

I'm not sure if we can legally contribute to a GPL driver if we sign an
NDA. Of course, I'm not sure since I don't even know what the NDA looks
like.