[Prism54-users] Windows firmware embedded in driver files

Rutger Nijlunsing (thuis) prism54-users@tux.tmfweb.nl
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:34:25 +0100

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 11:26:04AM +1300, Simon.Green@vodafone.co.nz wrote:
> All,

[snip]

> It seems Netgear may be doing the same thing, as Dougga seems to mention
> in a post earlier. That's 2 - how many others? How long till they're all
> like that?

Add SMC2802W.SYS to that list (and 3C154G72.SYS, and WG511ICB.SYS).

A method to automatically retrieve the firmware from the .sys files
would be preferable. The drivers I know (version 2.4.3.2 and 2.4.3.5)
have embedded firmware which start at offset -28 from the string
'LM86'.

--
Rutger Nijlunsing ----------------------------- rutger @ tux.tmfweb.nl
never attribute to a conspiracy which can be explained by incompetence