[Prism54-users] Windows firmware embedded in driver files

Simon.Green@vodafone.co.nz Simon.Green@vodafone.co.nz
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:26:04 +1300

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3F412.B2CDB440

All,

Just as a matter of interest - I have a 3CRWE154G72 card. This works
great using the prism54 driver in Linux. Of course it needs firmware
just like all the others. The problem is this: the 1.0.1 driver that
shipped with my card contains a firmware file (1.0.1) as a .arm file.
There are v2.1 drivers available from 3Com (FWIW - they don't seem to
work at all for me). However, they do not ship with a separate .arm
file; the .sys driver file is much larger than in the v1 drivers, so I
can only assume it's embedded in there.

Given that we will be needing to take down the firmware soon, unless we
are given permission to continue distribution, should we start a
register of Windows drivers that are known to contain a) separate
firmware files, and b) embedded files only? That way, for people who buy
new cards - eg, people buying new 3Com cards with 2.1 drivers shipped -
can go to a manufacturer's site and download drivers with firmware. It
would not even need to be the manufacturer of the card; the firmware is
the same one way or the other.

It seems Netgear may be doing the same thing, as Dougga seems to mention
in a post earlier. That's 2 - how many others? How long till they're all
like that?

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Simon

+++
OK
ATH
NO CARRIER
_

----------------------
Have you seen our website?.... http://www.vodafone.co.nz

CAUTION: This correspondence is confidential and intended for the named r=
ecipient(s) only.
If you are not the named recipient and receive this correspondence in err=
or, you must not copy,
distribute or take any action in reliance on it and you should delete it =
from your system and
notify the sender immediately.  Thank you.

Unless otherwise stated, any views or opinions expressed are solely those=
=20of the author and do
not represent those of Vodafone New Zealand Limited.

Vodafone New Zealand Limited
21 Pitt Street, Private Bag 92161, Auckland, 1020, New Zealand
Telephone + 64 9 357 5100
Facsimile + 64 9 377 0962

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3F412.B2CDB440

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-asci=
i">
<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version 6.0.6487.1=
">
<TITLE>Windows firmware embedded in driver files</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">All,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Just as a matter of interest - I have a =
3CRWE154G72 card. This works great using the prism54 driver in Linux. Of =
course it needs firmware just like all the others. The problem is this: t=
he 1.0.1 driver that shipped with my card contains a firmware file (1.0.1=
) as a .arm file. There are v2.1 drivers available from 3Com (FWIW - they=
=20don't seem to work at all for me). However, they do not ship with a se=
parate .arm file; the .sys driver file is much larger than in the v1 driv=
ers, so I can only assume it's embedded in there.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Given that we will be needing to take do=
wn the firmware soon, unless we are given permission to continue distribu=
tion, should we start a register of Windows drivers that are known to con=
tain a) separate firmware files, and b) embedded files only? That way, fo=
r people who buy new cards - eg, people buying new 3Com cards with 2.1 dr=
ivers shipped - can go to a manufacturer's site and download drivers with=
=20firmware. It would not even need to be the manufacturer of the card; t=
he firmware is the same one way or the other.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">It seems Netgear may be doing the same t=
hing, as Dougga seems to mention in a post earlier. That's 2 - how many o=
thers? How long till they're all like that?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Any thoughts?</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Cheers</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Simon</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"HE_TERMINAL">+++</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"HE_TERMINAL">OK</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"HE_TERMINAL">ATH</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"HE_TERMINAL">NO CARRIER</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"HE_TERMINAL">_</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2>
<HR>    =20
=20 </FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2>Have you seen our website? .... </=
FONT><A href=3D"http://www.vodafone.co.nz"><FONT=20
size=3D2>www.vodafone.co.nz</FONT></A><FONT size=3D2> </FONT></FONT></DIV=

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>&nbsp;</DIV>
<HR>

<DIV>
<FONT size=3D1>CAUTION: This correspondence is confidential and intended =
for the=20
named recipient(s) only.&nbsp; If you are not the named recipient and rec=
eive=20
this correspondence in error, you must not copy, distribute or take any a=
ction=20
in reliance on it and you should delete it from your system and notify th=
e=20
sender immediately.&nbsp; Thank you.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D1>Unless otherwise stated, any views or op=
inions=20
expressed are solely those of the author and do not represent those of Vo=
dafone=20
New Zealand Limited.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D1><STRONG>Vodafone New Zealand Limited</ST=
RONG><BR>21=20
Pitt Street, Private Bag 92161, Auckland, 1020, New Zealand<BR>Telephone =
+ 64 9=20
357 5100<BR>Facsimile + 64 9 377 0962</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>
<HR>
</DIV>
</BODY>