[Prism54-users] Re: Prism54-users digest, Vol 1 #155 - 3 msgs

J Yunke yunke@productivity.org
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 06:55:20 -0600 (CST)

> JY>   I have a 266 MHz Dell Optiplex desktop with the CVS build from two
> JY> nights ago, and a fresh 2.4.24 kernel, on Slackware 9.1.  The SMC Prism
> JY> GT/Duette 54G (Nitro) PCI card is eth3, since the Dell's my firewall and
> JY> has three other LAN interfaces (WAN, LAN, DMZ).

> The SMC 2802 PCI card requires at least P-II 300 MHz to run. I tried
> to use it in 266 MHz desktop and the system crashed every second time
> I started it.

Yikes!  Has anyone else confirmed this?  This seems unusual, since I'm
sure most hardware access points don't have a 300 Mhz+ proc in them.

Stanislav -- do you recommend any other vendor's card to get this working,
or is this typical for the Prism GT/Duette chipset?

I never thought I'd need more than 266 MHz for a firewall.  :)

-- Justin