[Prism54-users] terminal prism54 performance problems

Paul Jakma paul at jakma.org
Wed Aug 18 22:23:43 UTC 2004

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

>> It's not even high-traffic though. 50kB/s will kill it in short
>> order.
>
> This sucks.

Indeed ;)

> You said you were using WEP though no?

Yes, WEP128. It probably isnt terribly secure, but it'll keep out the
casual nosey people. I have been meaning to move to IPSec..

> The main problem I am aware of that we still have to fix for
> extended mode is how we set oids and commit them.

I'll try without WEP.

> Paul,
>
> After the Prism GT/Frisbee Conexant worked on another Prism chipset
> which uses a software MAC, and the driver hence is bigger. I
> believe 1.0.4.3 was the last firmware release to a manufacturer
> they did before focusing more on the Software MAC based chipset and
> drivers.
>
> Apparantly the SoftMAC driver is supposed to be backward compatible with
> the FullMAC chipsets (like prism GT/Frisbee). I do not yet know much of
> these chipsets though.

Hmm.. interesting.

> Regardless we still spit out some useful info. Send us:
>
> dmesg -c > /dev/null
> ifconfig eth0 up # or DHCP/Get IP/asssign ESSID etc
> # Do your thing, DL stuff/etc
> dmesg -c > output.txt # after you eject the card so you gain keyboard access
>
> send us output.txt

Ok. I think though dmesg will be empty, iirc.

I'll try without WEP and let you know.

regards,
Fortune:
Hear about the Californian terrorist that tried to blow up a bus?
Burned his lips on the exhaust pipe.