[Prism54-users] Field report - performance at a distance

Rob Gipman gipmanr@mtn.co.ug
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:54:33 +0300

Into Jeff's request,

I'm going to do a connection to a neigbour house about 700 meters away
down the hill here. For this i have build my own omni 13dBi antenna out
of coax pieces and pvc pipe. This antenna is connected to a Sitecom 54Mb
802.11G pci card. The machine runs both win2k and Redhat linux 9. The
machine reboots often for my work here so connection has to be through
win2k and linux.

Under linux the prism54 module runs as fine a the official sitecom
driver under win2k as tested so far within a range of 50 meters in and
out of the house. Still have to do the 700 meter test. (waiting for the
second sitecom pci card to get to Uganda.)

At the neigbours location the sitecom pci will connect to a home made
point (prinqles type) antenna. And then we will test.

Rob