[Prism54-users] Qn. on Ad-Hoc's again

Nicolai Langfeldt janl@linpro.no
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:47:32 +0100

Tom Hanks wrote:
> i have a doubt (and i cant clear it up myself right now, as i only
 > have 1 card on me, and there is no Ad-Hoc n/w around me at the moment
 > to test).
>
> its how ad-hoc connections work. when a cell is formed by one machine,
 > and another one joins that particular cell, does it get the ip addr
> thro  dhcp, or is it assigned one by the machine which first formed the
 > cell?

None of the above.  The Ad-hoc (or any wifi) network is a _ethernet_
network.  Once you get yourself onto the network you can pass
ethernet-protocol "frames" around to other people within range.

The IP address is for the addressing of IP-protocol "packets" that
travel on top of the ethernet frames.  The wifi network, a ethernet,
does not care about IP-numbers.

How you get your IP-number is a matter of policy.  In my ad-hoc network
at home I get most by DHCP but the main standalone desktop system
assigns IP to itself, staticaly.

> so, if i want to connnect to an ad-hoc n/w, after specifying the
 > cell's essid, would i have to get an ip addr for my machine via dhcp,

This is a good method.

 > or will i have gotten one when i give the cell essid thro iwconfig?

No.  Iwconfig only helps you select which ethernet you get on.

Nicolai