[Prism54-users] Dropped packets at 10 second intervals

Jeff Bobzin jeff@boccorp.com
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 12:34:47 -0500

Dear developers,

I'm seeing an undesirable behavior when configured as master & managed.

As a test I am sending a stream of sequence-numbered packets from a =
program running on the master to the managed node. The receiving program =
displays a message including timestamp, when packets are dropped.  The =
packet size is 8K.=20

It drops a few packets, typically between 2 and 5, every 10 seconds =
exactly.

My suspicion is this packet loss is associated with access-point =
overhead. Perhaps beacon sending? Maybe the buffers are getting dumped?

I do not see any periodic loss when both units are configured as ad-hoc. =
I turned on the trace but did not see any periodic messages.

Does the driver have any 10-second timers? Or is this in the firmware?  =
Or maybe in the Linux socket-blocking code?

My current driver build is 11/13 7:49.  My hardware is SMC 2802W in each =
of a pair of 1Ghz PCs.

I'll watch for the 'iwpriv' ioctl functions to get finished so I can try =
to play with the beacon period.

---Jeff Bobzin