[Prism54-users] success with Prism54

Nicolas Geoffray nicklaus@netcourrier.com
Sat, 01 Nov 2003 23:55:20 +0100

Hi Herbert, thx for the quick response

> On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 14:39, Nicolas Geoffray wrote:
> > A few notes though:
> > When I reboot the device doesn't work the first time, i have to
unplug
> > it and then plug.
>
> btw, which kernel version?

2.4.23pre9

> do you load prism54 as module, or have you compiled it statically into
> the kernel?

No it's not statically in the kernel, it's compiled as a module and it
probes itself at boot time (the card is pluged)

> > I try to do network bridging: I don't want to put my card as an AP,
but
> > I want it to share the wireless connexion (connected to an AP), with
my
> > desktop computer, which doesn't have a pci wireless card. But in
order
> > to do so, my broadcom wire card, and the 3Com card must have
different
> > irqs,
>
> why must they have different irqs?

I've read it in a bridging howto, who also says it must have different
I/O addresses. Are u saying it's not necessary?

> >  which is not the case for my notebook. So questions are: is there
> > a way to change irqs
> IMO it's not possible to change the hw irq's used in a notebook in
such
> a way to avoid irq sharing, but I could be wrong
>
> > for my wire card or wireless card, and does the
> > prism54 driver supports bridging?
>
> does bridging require specific support from the involved network
driver?

> regards,

The thing is, i have windows installed too on my laptop, and the two
cards do not have the same irqs (the wire has 5, wireless 11, whereas
for linux it's 11 both). I tried to do network bridging (it's built with
windows XP), but didn't succeed whereas with a pci d-link wireless card
on an other desktop computer, it works.

Nicolas