[Prism54-users] How to install?

Richard Atterer richard@list03.atterer.net
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:26:03 +0100

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 09:25:02PM +0100, Hannes Bischof wrote:
> Or do I need some other patches?
> Is the rest what I have OK???

AFAIK, yes!

Over time, I've encountered the following problems which could cause the
firmware upload to fail:

- hotplug too old, no firmware.agent present
- under 2.4.23 + separate, not-in-kernel pcmcia modules, /sbin/hotplug just
  isn't called, had to use the in-kernel pcmcia
- under 2.6.0-test11, /sys wasn't mounted
- the hotplug system had not yet been started during boot. Usual workaround
  is not to use your distro's network configuration facility (e.g.
  /etc/network/interfaces for Debian), instead enable the interface
  "manually" later in the boot process (/etc/rc.boot/somefile for Debian).
- wrong firmware. Some cards only like one particular and no other version
  of the firmware. I think this can only be the cause if you see a few
  "queue empty, retrying" messages. Have a look at your card's Windows
  driver CD - either there's an .ARM file somewhere which you should use,
  or it is hidden inside a setup.exe, in that case install the driver under
  Windows, then copy the .arm file across.

Also, try switching on hotplug debugging by uncommenting the line near the
start of /etc/hotplug/hotplug.functions, this can be very helpful
sometimes.

BTW, use modprobe to load the prism54 module, not insmod.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  0x888354F7
  ¯ '` ¯