[Prism54-users] interface name wlan0

Nicolai Langfeldt janl@linpro.no
Fri, 05 Dec 2003 19:57:51 +0100

Kasper Fischer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I also think that the name wlan0, wlan1, etc is more reasonable for a
> wireless network device. At least it is not a ethernet device AFAIK.

Actually, "wifi" or "wlan" is a ethernet standard.  It's ethernet.
Ethernet is foremostly defined by a "ethernet frame", colission handling
and such, not cable.

Apropos "ether":

dict ether
    ether
        2: the fifth and highest element after air and earth and fire
           and water; was believed to be the substance composing all
           heavenly bodies [syn: quintessence]
      1. (Physics) A medium of great elasticity and extreme
         tenuity, supposed to pervade all space, the interior of
         solid bodies not excepted, and to be the medium of
         transmission of light and heat; hence often called
         luminiferous ether.

wifi is the _real_ ethernet, it is transmitted over the ether :-)

Nicolai