[Prism54-users] Debian install!

Tim Dijkstra newsuser@famdijkstra.org
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:50:17 +0100

On Thu,  4 Dec 2003 21:20:03 +0000
James Hosken <james@jamesho.co.uk> wrote:

> I've never done any thing with the kernel before, it's scary.
> I don't mind how I do it, but it would be cool it I can make it so
> that I can keep upgrading when new stuff comes out.
>

> dpkg -L hotplug | grep firmware
> returns
> /etc/hotplug/firmware.agent
> so I guess that's OK.
>
> When Iapt-get install libncurses-dev I get this
>
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Package libncurses-dev is a virtual package provided by:
>   libncurses5	5.3.20030719-4
> You should explicitly select one to install.
> E: Package libncurses-dev has no installation candidate
>
> What that mean?

Precisely what it says, choose one.
If multiple package provide the same functionality, there's usually a
virtual package. If a package needs the functionality it can just depend
on the virtual package, users can than choose to install one of the
packages that provide it. In this case there's not much choice, so you
can apt-get libncurses5.

> Where is the best place to get the kernel-source from?

The newest are always at www.kernel.org. But I think usually you can
also 'apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.X', they're probably already
patched to fit nicely in debian.

> What drivers do I need to download?

Most you'll need will probably be in the kernel-sources, usually really
new stuff (like this driver) aren't.

> What do I do with the prism54 drivers, the debian comands that you
> gave didn't say any thing about the prism54 drivers when compiling.

He gave only the debian specific stuff, you still need to apply the
patch to the kenel source (before you do make-kpkg), copy the firmware
to the right place, etc (as you can read in the README.)

grts Tim